When Precious was matched with a Kiwi Kid Sponsor her life changed for the better.
Precious had terrible eczema that made her itchy and damaged her skin. It was easily treatable but her mum, Sueanna, couldn’t afford the medication she needed, or the cotton clothing the doctor recommended to help her skin breathe.
"Now I can get Precious her prescription and her skin is much better. Thankfully, I got her cotton t-shirts and pants too! It’s a relief knowing my girl isn’t in pain anymore … Thanks to her sponsor, I’ve also been able to get her stationery and a uniform and pay for her school camp."
Precious loves learning and school. Now she’s going with the gear she needs, and without the distraction of sore, itchy skin. Thanks to someone like you.
Sponsored children enjoy school more and they feel they do better.*
"I'm able to try my hardest at school now due to the stationery I have."
Sponsored children do more fun things with their family.*
"Our family is happier and get along better."
Sponsored children feel their health is better.*
"I feel happier and healthier and not so stressed."
Sponsorship helps a child feel more included.*
"I feel better about myself and more confident to do things at school."
School stationery and uniform
Activities like school trips, sport or music
"I can't help all the kids but I can make a difference to one."
"We are helping a child start life – and taking a little stress off parents."
"I know we're making a real difference to a Kiwi kid's life and that's great."
"When I receive a letter from my special friend and hear what she has been doing – priceless!"
"I have three children, my eldest is eight – the same age as Athena. I also have a six-year-old daughter and four-year-old son. Sponsorship is a valuable lesson for them, that helping those in need is important. It also helps them realise how lucky they are having a warm house, warm clothes, lunch every day."
A full 75% (or more) of your sponsorship donations directly support your sponsored child. The remaining amount (a maximum of 25%) is used to cover the cost of running the programme. This includes: getting in touch with your child’s family and assessing their needs; helping the family to request and spend their funds year around; reporting back to you on how your donations have been spent; and communicating and working with schools, social welfare agencies and community groups to refer other children in need to the programme.
Variety manages your funds on behalf of your sponsored child’s family to ensure that, where possible, the money goes straight to the provider (like the school) to directly benefit your sponsored child and can’t be used for other household expenses. Your help is tailored to whatever basic essential it is that the child really needs.
You can continue to support children who are in need until they turn 18. While we'd love you to sponsor a child for as long as possible, we understand that if your financial situation changes you may need to cancel your sponsorship. Please get in touch with us as soon as possible if things change.
We work with schools and social services agencies who refer children who are financially disadvantaged. The parents/caregivers are then required to complete an application and agree to Variety's code of conduct. Variety then reviews the application to ensure the family meet stringent criteria including income levels. Once a year every child on the programme must complete a renewal form to secure the next year’s funding. This is a simple process that allows us to confirm the child is still in financial need.
We will keep you updated with an annual report and a new photo of your sponsored child each year.
Yes, the easiest way is through your Variety sponsorship page on our website. You can also send a letter or card through the post. To respect the family's privacy, and yours, all communication is made through Variety.
We send you a note from your child - along with an update on how your sponsorship is helping - once a year. We also encourage the children to write to you at other times. However, this isn’t always possible in some homes. We do know from working with the families, that the kids whose caregivers are not able to help them write back are often the ones most in need, and most appreciative of the generous support of their sponsor. When we do receive letters, we send them on to you.
Yes. We’ll send you a reminder of your child’s birthday via post – and the opportunity to send a birthday card, as well as a present in the form of a gift card from The Warehouse and/or Countdown. You can also make a birthday gift through your Variety sponsorship page on our website.
Yes. We’ll post you an opportunity to donate gift cards from The Warehouse and/or Countdown for your child for Christmas. You can also donate a Christmas gift online.
Our Kiwi Kid Sponsorship team is happy to answer any other questions you may have.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on 09 520 4111.